Atomic Derby Rules
Classes: Big Car Kicker, Smash Minis, Small Stock, Big Stock, Mini Mods, Powderpuff, Trucks/Vans, Mod/Stock Mowers
2019 Atomic Bash Dates: June 9, September 1, October 27
SMASH MINIS RULES
1. Rwd cars no more than 106 wheelbase fwd. cars no more than 109 wheelbase no full frame cars. If car is painted black a 12" x 12" roof sign is mandatory. 2. Helmet, seat belt, and eye protection must be worn at all times. Any controversies or protests must be brought up during the drivers meeting.
3. Any questions call first if it doesn't say you can, don't do it. Cars must be stock unless modification is stated in the rules. No painting of the frames. Judges decisions are final. All cars are subject to reinspection at any time before, during, or after the event no refunds on illegal cars. We have the right to re-inspect, cut, or drill any car at any time. If you are caught breaking the rules set here forth you will forfeit any and all winnings and or prizes you are due.
4. All glass, plastic, and interior must be removed before arriving to the event. Cars must be stock unless modifications stated in rules. We have the right to re-inspect, drill, or cut any car at any time. If you stretch a rule you will lose that rule.
1. Doors may be welded all the way around on outside of body only with ¼: x 3 wide strapping no excessive overlapping of strapping is permitted.
2. Deck lids and tailgates may be welded with a 5 on 5 off rule using ¼ x 3 wide pieces of steel or 9 wired or banding in 8 spots. Deck lids and tailgates must be in original location deck lids may be folded down in the trunk, trunk lids may be dipped along with speaker deck. Speaker deck can be removed, but trunk lid can only be welded to quarter panels and tail light assembly only nothing may be welded inside of trunk. Deck lids must be factory for make and model of car.
3. Hood may be 9 wired in 8 places or bolted in 6 places bolts may be 5/8 in dia. front 2 body mounts may extend through core support and used as front 2 of the 6 hood bolts 1 all thread max you cannot sleeve the all thread with anything from bottom of core support and above. A 12 hole minimum must be in the hood.
4. No interior body seam welding will be permitted. Doors can be welded on outside of body only. On preran cars the doors may be repaired back to stock. Rust repair is limited to floor boards and roofs only.
5. you may have a window bar or wire in windshield and rear window if using metal, it can be no thicker than 3/8" and no wider than 3" you may use 2 x 2 pipe. Not solid. These may not touch the rollover bar. They can be welded to roof and firewall no more than 6" from the window area. And welded to the floor directly above rear axle the rear window bar cannot be attached to anything else except for roof of car and floor pan and welded 6"at the rear window on roof and 6 on floor pan.
6. Hoods must be open for inspection. (12" x 12" hole over carburetor.
7. cars may not be smashed flat if cars are tucked the rear quarter panels must stay at the factory height deck lids must be in factory location (above rain channels).
8. You can add a piece of angle (4" x 4" x ¼"max.) to top of the core support but can be no longer than 1" wider than the radiator no other metal permitted on core support. No other metal permitted to be welded to core support.
9. Original gas tank may be removed and replaced with a boat-type tank or fuel cell Moved inside of car behind driver s seat but no further back than rear axle. If fuel tank is in front of rear axle you may leave it in stock location. No stock fuel tanks permitted inside of car. Batteries must be moved to passenger side floor board and securely fastened.
1. You may have a 4-point cage surrounding the drivers compartment with a roll over bar. Bars 6" diam. Max must be sheet metal to sheet metal only. Dash bar must be 5 away from all sheet metal, the bar behind the seat can sit no further back than 12 from rear of driver s seat and must be at least 5" off the floor measured from the highest part of the floor/ driveshaft tunnel. You may use a rollover bar from front side of roll bar across the roof down to dash bar this may not connect to sheet metal. Door bars may be no farther forward than the firewall and extend into rear doors on 4 door cars they must stop 2 from back of door on 2 door cars they must stop 3 from rear wheel well on the body the rear of these bars must be free floating and may not attach to body.
2. No angling of roll over bars permitted.
3. You may have gussets in cage at the corners. They must be within 6 of corners of bars only no other gussets will be permitted.
4. You may use 2 down legs to the frame from the rear bar down to frame these must run straight down no angling of the down legs permitted.
5. You may use a floating gas tank protector that comes off the back bar but it cannot be wider than 24" The gas tank protector or holder may go all the way back to the sheet metal. The gas tank protector must stop at the sheet metal in front of rear axle and rear seat meet.
6. A center bar from rear seat bar to dash bar is permitted. You may use a bar from the roll over bar on roof
KICKER CAR RULES
1) Any American-made sedan or station wagon, No Imperials. A 14“x 14“roof sign is mandatory. No black cars permitted except for past winners. All other cars may not be painted more than 50% black and must have a contrasting color on the other 50%.
2) Cars must have functioning brakes at all times, on at least one axle. Helmet, seat belt, and eye protection must be worn at all times.
3) Any questions call first! If it doesn’t say you can do it, don’t do it. Cars must be stock unless modifications are stated in rules. All glass, plastic, and interior must be removed before arriving to the event.
4) Any controversies or protests must be brought up before and/or during the drivers meeting.
5) We have the right to re-inspect, cut, or drill any car at any time. If you are caught breaking the rules set here forth, you will forfeit any and all winnings and or prizes you are due. Judges decisions are final. If you stretch a rule you could lose that rule. You must pass inspection within 3 times through tech or you will not be allowed to run.
6) Any aftermarket parts must be approved by tech, prior to the show. You must call and submit pictures for approval. Parts that are not approved before the derby, could result in disqualification.
7) No painting of the frames or inside of the car is permitted. Cars will not be inspected if this is an issue. Stock gas tanks must be removed from original place and moved inside the car. You must use a fuel cell or boat tank, securely fastened with no leaks and must be installed in a safe manner.
1) Trailer hitches and braces must be removed. No plating, pinning, heat treating, or stuffing the frame of any kind. No welds on frame may exceed a single pass. No weave passes or building the weld up will be permitted. All unused bolts must be removed from frame. NO WELDS ON FRAME BIGGER THAN 3/8” PERMITTED. IF THEY ARE BIGGER YOU WILL HAVE TO CUT OR GRIND THEM DOWN TO SIZE.
2) NO FRAME CREASING! NO BEATING DOWN THE TOP, BOTTOM OR SIDES OF FRAME IN ANY WAY
3) You can notch or pre-bend rear frame section. This is to help rear of car roll, not to strengthen the frame. Top Frame seams from the firewall forward may be welded, top side only, with a single bead of weld. No weave passes, excessive welds will have to be removed.
4) On 02 and older cars, the front frame must be 23" from front of coil pockets (on bottom of frame), to the end of the frame. The bumper can’t slide over the frame. If a frame section needs to be replaced or repaired (rust), you must call first. If the frame has damage in the rear, the back 2 body bolts may be moved, no more than 6" from factory location.
5) For coil sprung cars, you may use a hump plate. All coil sprung cars may have ¼" X 6" X 32" hump plate, except 1977 and newer GM, these cars may use a ¼" X 6" X 38" hump plate. All hump plates must cover the entire arch of the frame and extend forward, rearward, or be centered on the hump. All hump plates must be 2” from the rear end housing and/or anything that attaches to it.
6) On leaf spring cars you may use a ¼" X 6" X 11" hump plate to be measured the same way.
7) All hump plates may contour the frame, run straight across, or work as a half-moon on the hump. Hump plate must remain flat plate no bending this over the top or bottom of frame. Hump plate must be on the outside of frame, towards the outside of the car. You can have a ball joint protector, max 2x2 square tube with 2"x2" contact area on the frame. This is to be used as a ball joint protector. DO NOT ABUSE THIS!!!
9) On 03 and newer fords you cannot weld a spring pocket to frame. You can weld in the cradle and the suspension components from 80-02 ford/mercury/Lincoln, with the same configuration that it came with from the factory. You may do this using a single weld bead, no wider than 3/8" wide and no added metal. The cradle and suspension components must be welded within 2" of factory location. Measure this from the crush box bolt holes forward. NO shortening the frame on 2003 & up. NO filling the crush point holes. You can use 1 piece of all thread, with 4 nuts, and 4 washers per side. They can run from your upper A Arm to your lower A Arm. None of these may exceed 4” in diameter, length, width, or thickness. You may use a 4” wide or round spacer from bottom of frame, to lower a-arm, to set your height. A-arm brackets must be factory brackets and must be used and mounted in the same factory manner. If you have questions on this, call. Nothing may be welded between the mounting brackets. If using the 98 – 02 brackets, they must measure the same from inside to inside, as they do on the factory frame no spacing them farther apart will be permitted. You may run a bolt in style cradle with spring pockets (THESE MUST BE APPROVED BEFORE THEY CAN RUN) the cradle must not add any strength to the front frame beyond what the factory 80-02 cradle would in factory configuration. No welding on the frame to cradle at all. They must ut
1. Any year car
2. Chevy to Chevy ford to ford
3. 4pt cage allow with roll bar and tank protector. Must be 6 inches from any sheet metal and can’t strengthen the car in any way
4. Any tire of choice
5. Any bumper of choice
6. Cars must bounce
7. Doors can be wired or welded 3 3x3 plates per door seam 1/8 thick
8. 4 4x4 patch plates allow on all cars
9. Must have wire or bar in front window No rear window bar.
10. Tanks and battery’s must be strapped down and safe
1. TIRES OF CHOICE Any bumper of choice
2. BATTERY CAN BE MOVED INSIDE YOUR CAR. YOUR CHOICE!!
3. FUEL TANKS CAN BE MOVED NO FACTORY TANKS ALLOWED INSIDE OF THE CAR MUST BE BOAT TANK OR AFTERMARKET. YOUR CHOICE!!
4. BUMPERS MAY BE COLASPED AND WELDED ON
5. NO WELDING SUSPENSION
6. MAY HAVE 4PT CAGE FOR SAFETY
7. DRIVER DOOR MAY BE WELDED ALL OTHER DOORS CAN HAVE 8 DOUBLED 9 WIRE PER DOOR OR 3 3X3 1/8 PLATE PER DOOR SEAM NOT BOTH
8. HOOD MUST BE OPEN FOR INSPECTION CAN HAVE 8 DOUBLE 9 WIRE FRONT TWO CAN GO AROUND FRAME OR BUMPER MAY HAVE DOUBLE STRAND WIRE IN WINDSHIELD FOR SAFETY
9. DECK LIDS MUST HAVE 12X12 HOLE FOR INSPECTION CAN HAVE 8 DOUBLE STRAND 9 WIRE HOLDING IT SHUT NONE AROUND FRAME
10. CARS MUST BOUNCE MUST BE STOCK NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS ALLOWED EXCEPT WHATS STATED!!!!!
1. Any truck / van / suv of choice
2. Any 4x4 truck suv must have front drive shaft removed
3. 4pt cage is allow
4. Doors can be wired or welded shut. ( 3 ) 3x3 plates per door seam
5. Front window bar is allow no rear window bar
6. Any tires of choice
7. Any front bumper of choice
8. All suspension must be stock and must bounce
9. Tank protectors is allow and must not touch anything to strength vehicle
1. Any year car
2. No sheeted bodies
3. 1 window bar for front and rear.
4. Shorten and plated frames are ok
5. May only have 2 kicker from dash to behind strut tower and 2 down legs off rear bar straight down to floor.
6. Cars must be safe at all times
1. Same Rules as Mini Stock Rules
LAWN STOCK MOWERS
1. Gasoline ONLY no other fuel, No foam or liquid filed tires. Any riding mower with a front mounted engine allowed. No rear mounted engines permitted.
18 HP maximum engine. NO twin cylinder engines permitted. NO zero turn mowers
2. Decks must be removed. You make make a homemade exhaust but it must points straight up and be permanently fixed, not wired on
3. Bars will be welded on the side of the mower for leg and foot protection only.
4. If fuel tank is in front of the engine it must be moved to a safe location.
5. You may make a hand throttle for your use. Hoods must be bolted or wired down tightly.
6. You may use a spark plug protector. This must be mounted to the engine only.
7. You may flat weld bumpers to the front and the rear of the mower. They cannot exceed the width of the frame. They also may not exceed further then 2" from the frame of the mower. No points or jagged edges allowed.
8. Bumpers are optional, if you have bumpers front and rear height should be at 10"
9. No excessively thick bumpers (not over; 1/4" x 2" angle iron) Remember these are mowers.
10. Nothing may protect the tires in any way. No frame reinforcement permitted, except what may be needed to attach bumpers and cages too. Self tapping screws are permitted
11. Pulley may be changed front and rear pulley must be within 3" size from one another
12. Helmets and boots are required. Hits are to be made to the front ends and tires of other mowers.
13. NO REAR HITS MAY BE MADE
14. No homemade mowers are permitted. Rear wheels may be no larger than 13"; No duels or chains or wheel weights permitted
15. Drivers are to remain on their mowers at all times unless mower is tipped over. No getting off to work on your mower.Doing so will result in
disqualification absolutely no sandbagging or gang hitting. You will receive one warning. Second time=disqualification. You will have 60 seconds to make an aggressive hit or you will be disqualified.
16. All mowers will a side shift must have a hand guard.
SMASH IT MOWER
*Driver must have long sleeve shirt, pants and helmet. These must be worn at all times. You must have some eye protection on.
1. The front of the mower can be 26" wide and 26" tall. No homemade frame. MAX 19HP engine, belt driven and air cooled.
2. Must be a front engine mower, no rear engine allowed. All mowers must have factory stocked engines.
3. Reinforcing the frame is permitted. Trans-axels must be factory. Reinforcing of spider gears is allowed. Reinforcing around the engine is allowed but cannot be outside of the hood
4. Hoods must remain factory. Hoods can be screwed down or welded. If the hood is fiberglass you can make it from sheetmetal but it's not allowed to be any bigger than the fiberglass hood was.
5. Brakes must be in operation when pulling in for the heat race. Must also have forward and reverse.
6. Gas tank must be fastened with the cap on. If it comes loose or gas leaks you will be disqualified.
7. Some sort of leg guard is mandatory before entering the arena. It must go from rear fender to front foot rest or frame.
8. A rear bumper is allowed but can't extend more than 4" from rear of mower (not the tires). The bumper must be no bigger than 3" wide and cannot extend past the tire. Rear bumper must be at least 6" from the ground.
9. Pulleys can be changed to increase speed. Driver modifications are allowed but must stay belt driven. Wheels must be of lawn mower type, no duel wheels. Tractor tread and cut tires are allowed. Tires must be of lawn mower type.
10. Mower decks must be removed before entracnce to pit area, plus all headlights and any other plastics must be removed.
11. Battery can be used to start the mower. But then must be taken out before entering arena. If mower is pull start, you will not be allowed to use it once you enter the arena. Absolutely no batteries for any reason can remain in mower. If your mower requires a battery YOU CANNOT RUN IT. Maximum 1.5 GAL of fuel.
12. The front of the frame under the grill may be strengthened for hitting but it must be a smooth finish. Front bumper cannot cover front tires. Maximum 6" tall period. Must be 6" off the ground. It must be 2" away from the front frame of the mower. Bumper must be flat, no points or sharp edges. No bracing at any time can cover front tires including leg guards.
13. If a driver rolls he or she is disqualified. If any part of your body touches the ground you will be disqualified also.
14. In the event of a rollover, the event will be stopped until officials can get the mower back up right.
15. The number must be somewhere on each side of the mower, the number may be on helmet also.
16. No wheel weights are allowed on at any time. No heavy modifications, other than what's stated in these rules will be permitted. Mower must resemble a factory mower.
17. All of the rules as far as when you are in the arena, will be explained at the drivers meeting. If your mower doesn't pass inspection or participant refuses to fix something, there will be NO REFUNDS.
18. Officials have the final say. We reserve the right to inspect mower after the derby.
19. The front and rear pulleys can have no more than a 3" difference in size from one another (ie if front is 6" rear can be between 3" and 9" and vice versa)